Thursday 8 January 2009

Adding a "Home" link to the "My Site" personal and private pages

If you need to add a tab on the "My Site" pages, to allow the user to return to the root SharePoint web site, try the following:
  1. Navigate to the SharePoint Administration site
  2. Select the Shared Service
  3. From the Shared Services page, select the "Personalisation site links" link from the "User Profiles and My Sites" heading.
  4. Click the "New" button and select to add a "New Item".
  5. In the URL field, type in "http://ServerName/_layouts/redirectpage.aspx?Target=/pages/" - this will use SharePoint’s redirect page to redirect the user to the default page in the "Pages" folder (the Home page). The redirect page MUST be used, otherwise the page links back in a different way and you get different menus on the home page.
  6. Enter a description of "Home"
  7. Enter your current user name as the "Owner"
  8. Click "OK". The link will now appear whenever a user navigates to their "My Site" area. There doesn’t appear to be a way to re-order the tabs on the "My Site" area, however please let me know if you do find a solution!

No comments:

Post a Comment